- The competition is open to current students and recent graduates of the University of Edinburgh (no more than two years post graduation), and entrants may be from undergraduate courses, postgraduate courses and research degrees.
- Applicants may apply as individuals or as a team of up to four people. At least one applicant must be an eligible student or recent graduate.
- If you have previously won first place prize at the LAUNCH.ed Business Ideas Competition you cannot enter the competition, even with a new idea.
- The business must be pre-trading. (This is an ideas competition!)
Entries will be judged on the following:
- The feasibility for the idea to turn into a sustainable business or social enterprise
- The skills and experience of the applicant (and team) and their ability to turn the idea into a sustainable business or social enterprise*
- The level of expected social, environmental, cultural, or economic impact
- The potential market for the product or service.
- The creativity and innovation of the idea.
*A social enterprise is a sustainable enterprise that employs at least its main staff and is operated on sound business principles in order to benefit a social or environmental cause, reinvesting some or all of its profits for the benefit of the cause rather than for the purpose of wealth generation.
Due to the complex nature of the judging process, please do not include highly confidential information. To avoid this, please tell us what the product or service does, and don’t tell us how it does it.
Your application will not be passed on to any other person beyond the judging panel or LAUNCH.ed personnel without your permission. The judging process will be managed by Edinburgh Innovations Ltd, who will assemble a panel of expert judges to select the winners.
If you have any questions about your eligibility or confidentiality please email Rebecca.firstname.lastname@example.org.